Friday, April 6, 2012

Scatterbrain

We had an appointment with the audiologist at 9 a.m. today but had to arrive at 8:30 a.m. for them to update records and such. They recently moved to a new building and tons of construction is being done in the area, meaning we needed to plan on early arrival anyhow. I awoke around 3:oo a.m. and never fully went back to sleep before getting up just after 5 a.m. and getting ready. I thought everything was going smoothly when we got out the door on time and faced normal traffic conditions on the 1.5 hour drive up there. We found the place after a little driving and a phone call, got parked, walked in, and started to check in. I had to go back outside to put a parking voucher in our windshield, and that is when I noticed something totally vital to this appointment. Simon was not wearing his hearing aids!!! The appointment today was for a hearing aid check, and he was missing the very thing needed. I could not believe that I had made this sort of mistake! Then again, I could believe it with the week I have been having. They were very kind and scheduled a new appointment, and I left with the conviction that I will not make that mistake again.
The drive was not for naught, though. We walked over to Arnold Palmer Hospital to pick up the surgeon reports. At first, I was told that the office was closed today and that it would be $1 per page. (The lady who usually takes care of this was out.) The lady who was there had me fill out a request and logged in so that I could find out what exactly was available for request. We waited a few minutes, and she handed me the reports from the two cranio surgeries. They were free of charge! I don't think she realizes just how much better she made my day at that point.
Simon wanted to go play in the castle and pirate ship that the hospital has in the main atrium area, so we spent some time there. While he played, I read the reports. After some play time, we dropped off pop tabs at the Ronald McDonald House and chatted with them some. We stop in often enough that they are starting to recognize us. We then went to Target for some needed items and ate at McDonald's, which has seats around a really nice fish aquarium. All in all, Simon had a good day.
I, on the other hand, am having a hard time getting used to my mind faltering so often. I went through this when I was pregnant, but I am not pregnant now. With Simon's two previous surgeries and other events involving extreme stress, I have not felt like this. I suffer from exhaustion that weakens me to the core, and I would lose my head if it were not attached. All of this just needs to get done, and we need to be on the other side with flying colors. I want to know what it feels like to have the "normal" worries of a parent, which I doubt are so debilitating.

No comments:

Post a Comment