Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Nesting Instinct

I have discovered that nesting is not just for soon-to-be mommies. It is also for those of us seasoned mommies who know that our kiddo is about to go through a long, traumatic ordeal. Knowing that the summer is going to kick off with at least a week in the hospital followed by 6 weeks of recovery time, I feel an insane urge to get it all done. Just like with nesting, I feel like a deadline looms and that everything will fall apart if I do not finish. Just like with nesting, my self-imposed tasks do not all make sense, either.
When I was 9 months pregnant, I felt a need to start tearing apart the garage and mopping it. In my mind, I knew it was insane. What the heck does the garage have to do with the baby? It was not like he was going to be sleeping or playing in there! Still, I was up late, exhausting myself with moving things around and mopping. I didn't finish before the baby was born, and it took about 4 months after for me to find the time and strength to at least move things to the side.
Now, my task has to do with the yard. I feel this need to get it totally cleaned up and beautified. I have moved the bird bath and planted flowers, and I have plans for more flowers and rocks. I tried to mow yesterday, but the machine conked out again and is beyond my limited ability to fix. I have this insane urge to go get a professional yard monster, but I will definitely refrain from that one. Still, I am drooling over the features, and I feel extremely irritated at the partially shorn front lawn. I hate leaving tasks undone anyhow, but this is really bothering me. It's too bad that I can't do more today. My night class looms, and then that will leave me useless for most of the day tomorrow from exhaustion. What was I thinking in signing up to work the summer term? Oh, yeah, we need to pay bills. Darn it! It's standing in the way of my nesting...err, therapy?

No comments:

Post a Comment