Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rolling In

We received the insurance statement with part of the surgery week listed. So far, we are looking at the following:

Pre-Surgery Labs $159.36 out of $621
Chest X-ray $64.18 out of $450
MRI $26.46 out of $3,224
Anesthesia for ICP Monitor $73.45 out of $2,600
Surgeon for ICP Monitor $245.13 out of $1,900
Hospital $0 out of $54,115.87
Random Hospital Doctor $544.90 out of $1,116
Anesthesia for Surgery $124.30 out of $4,400

The hospital amount for us is $0 for now only because All Children's did not file properly with insurance. We already paid $750 of the $1,500 co-pay to them, meaning we should get a balance bill soon. We have not seen the surgeon bills yet, either. We will have two surgeons to pay, and who knows what those totals will be. Usually, they each bill around $30,000 for this sort of surgery.

I am getting pretty nervous, especially since we did not get the Medicaid for which I applied. If we pay a premium, then we have Healthy Kids insurance starting in July. That does not help me with the balance bills of what happened in June. People say it can be appealed, but I have no idea how to do that. It's not like I have much time or money for getting a lawyer, either. Already, we have put out $5,100 in insurance premiums and co-pays this year. My FSA is pretty much spent, and we still have 5 months left to the year. My husband is jobless, and we don't know what the near future will bring. I go in tomorrow for a biopsy on a lump on my face. Let's just pray that isn't going to bring an ordeal to round out the year.

So, that is where we are post-op. Simon is healing well and remains as active as ever, but the financial aspect is hitting hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment